12 Reasons to Choose a Professional Display as Part of Your Digital Signage Solution (Part 1)
Despite their similar exterior appearance, consumer televisions, such as those you’d purchase at your local electronics store, aren’t ideal displays to use as part of your digital signage solution. While they’ll work perfectly at home for watching movies and playing video games, digital signage requires a more robust display to handle the increased usage, expansion needs and varied locations. Despite the lower sticker price, you’ll want to avoid consumer-grade displays in order to maximize the Return on Investment (ROI) of your digital display. Below you’ll find a list of 12 reasons you should consider a professional display when installing a digital signage solution.
1. Hours of Operation: Consumer televisions are built to operate for about 4-6 hours a day, which is about the average amount a consumer has their television on per day. However, many organizations need their digital signage displays to run 24/7, seven days a week, such as those located in quick-serve restaurants or airports. With a consumer-grade television in these situations, the odds of having to replace a display increase due to overheating and lower your ROI. Professional displays, however, are designed to run continuously.
2. Tamper-resistant control locks: Because digital signage displays are often in public spaces, it’s important to have security in place so that an individual cannot disrupt communications by tampering with the volume or the sources input as well as turning the display on and off. Professional displays can prevent such tampering with functions such as a control button lock to prevent unauthorized adjustments in stand-alone or non-monitored public locations.
3. Vertical or Horizontal Mounting Capability: Consumer-grade televisions aren’t made to be mounted both vertically and horizontally. When mounted vertically the television can experience “Gravity Mura”, which can cause dark spots to appear on the screen and it can also lessen lamp life. This discoloration in consumer LCD televisions is caused by pressure in the lower part of the screen which distorts the alignment of the polarizing film. With a professional LCD display, an improved liquid crystal injection method keeps the pressure at the bottom of the screen at a level that is no higher than that on ordinary TVs or those in a horizontal position.
Additionally, consumer-televisions are not designed to provide air flow for cooling in the vertical position, which can cause the device to overheat and fail earlier than normal. Finally, consumer televisions are usually not designed to be symmetric so they may appear lopsided when mounted in a vertical position.
4. Warranty: Consumer displays usually come with a 1-year warranty, which can often be reduced to 90 days or deemed void if the display is used in a commercial application. Professional displays, however, often come with a standard two year warranty, with an option for an additional three to five year extended warranty available.
5. “Yogore Stains”: The liquid crystal and PI film for LCD televisions include a variety of impurities. These impurities interrupt the reversion of liquid crystal to its original position. This can cause “Yogore” defects which can cause boundary lines to appear on the screen, minimizing the optimal picture quality. There are drastically fewer impurities in the materials used to manufacture professional LCD displays than with TV panels thus severely limiting the chances of a “Yogore stain.”
6. Durability: Consumer televisions aren’t built for the demanding environments digital signage is often deployed. With professional displays there are a variety of options for whatever environment you want to install a digital signage solution. For instance, professional displays often have a fanless design, which is ideal for environments with high air pollutants, such as Quick-Serve Restaurants (QSR), which can lead to failure in a display exposing internal components to elements such as moisture and smoke. Additionally, there are professional LCD displays that are compliant with IP66 rating for dustproof and water resistant protection. These are ideal for outdoor usage at bus terminals, factories, ski resorts, for example and are also built to function in both cold and hot weather.
Stay tuned for more reasons to choose professional displays for your digital signage solutions.