12 Reasons to Choose a Professional Display as Part of Your Digital Signage Solution (Part 2)
Earlier, I mentioned six reasons why professional displays should be used as part of a digital signage solution instead of a consumer-grade display. Those included a superior longevity, vertical mounting capability, tamper resistant control locks and durability, to name a few. Below I’ll wrap up our list with six more reasons.
7. Expandability and Integration Options: Unlike consumer televisions, many professional LCD displays built for digital signage offer Slot 2.0 architecture. Slot 2.0 accommodates optional boards, expanding application possibilities for the professional display. The technology allows you to easily mount and swap optional function boards to suit specific applications. The Slot 2.0 architecture also allows for a variety of input terminal cards including the i5 / i7 Plug-In PC capable of running even the most powerful software applications. Professional displays also often offer a flexible design for removing and re-installing media PCs that does not require the removal of the display, simplifying field support while cutting down on operational expense.
8. Viewing Angle: Professional displays are built with In Plane Switching Panel (IPS), which provide no color change from any angle around a room. However, some consumer televisions are built with a Vertical Alignment Panel (VA). While both panels have viewing angles of about 178 degrees, the image on the VA panel will be of poorer quality, displaying incorrect colors viewed from off center angles.
9. Device Control: Professional displays offer increased device control via RS232 or a LAN control. Let’s say a store has a dozen screens. These control options allow all the devices to be controlled from a central location, eliminating the need for a person to run around with a remote control to turn screens on and off or adjust other settings. For larger networks, RS232 / LAN Control can be used to monitor hundreds, even thousands of displays from a central location. Consumer devices lack this capability.
10. Built-in rear speakers: These eliminate side protrusions for a clean, modern design with seamless appearance for multi-display video walls. This will be especially important if the content you’re displaying has an audio component.
11. Touchscreen Capabilities: Your average consumer TV is not capable of offering touchscreen functionality. There are professional LCD displays available with a built-in touchscreen, creating a perfect tool for wayfinding in hospitals or amusement parks, for instance. Additionally, a touchscreen professional display could also be used as an interactive information kiosk or in a drive thru at a QSR.
12. Bezels: Consumer LCD televisions come with a range of bezel options: some are brightly colored, thick (a couple inches) and can also protrude from the wall by more than 5-6 inches. Professional displays, however, offer extremely thin, sleek bezels (often less than an inch) and minimal depth. Thin bezels make it easy to tile multiple displays and create one nearly seamless display. Often, you’ll be limited to where you can place a display so the less space occupied by anything other than a screen, the better.
You’ll find out more about our numerous digital signage solutions as well as case studies on our website. Can you think of any additional reasons to use to a professional display over a consumer television for digital signage? Ever experienced a failure with a consumer television in digital signage? Let us know in the comments below.